Wednesday, April 22, 2015

How to save and invest your first $1,000

The more I learn the more I realize how naive I am. One of my favorite proverbs I have ever heard is a Haitian saying "What you don't know is bigger than you." When it comes to saving and investing nothing comes more close to that saying. I highly doubt anyone truly know every option available in the open market. There are tens of thousands of mutual funds, ETFs, bonds, stocks, etc that it becomes way too overwhelming. So where do you start?

I took the advice of a great speaker named Ramit Sethi and figured out how to save my first $1000 in an investment. I went online to a discount brokerage Schwab.com and opened up an account. It was just like creating an account anywhere else. I then tried to figure out how to add my bank account information to start transferring money from my bank account to the Schwab account. Since my goal was to start automatically saving, I searched for the section under mutual funds and automatic investing. Finding a good fund can be difficult, so I chose a very low cost fund that ties itself to the S&P 500 and is called an Index fund. There are a lot of index funds available and all they do is mimic the general overall market. There is no guess of what is going on every day and whether or not the company is doing good or bad. There is also no guess as to whether or not the fund is beating the market, because the fund is mimicking the market. If you hear on the news or go online and it shows the market went up 1% today your investments probably went up 1% as well.

Once I told the system to buy by index fund every month I couldn't figure out how to make it actually take the money from my bank account every month. I actually had to communicate with Schwab. I think this is why it is good to have some kind of human helping you such as an advisor or representative. They set up my automatic investing and I was set. Every month on the same day $100 exits my bank account then a couple days later a few shares of the mutual fund is purchased. Simple as that. The minimum you can do with automatic investing is $100, so it will only take you roughly 10 months and you will have your first $1,000.


3 comments:

  1. Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is fundamental and all. Nevertheless think about if you added some great images or video clips to give your posts more, "pop"! Your content is excellent but with pics and clips, this blog could certainly be one of the best in its niche. Wonderful blog! agency automation

    ReplyDelete
  2. very good article and very beneficial, continue to work for the common good, thank you
    izon - izon

    ReplyDelete